Monday, August 4, 2008

Joey, Vito, Enzo and Them



I used to go to high school with dudes like in the clip above. I also dated girls like this in high school. Guidos and guidettes are to Italian Americans as spics are to Latinos—an embarrassment. It was a specimen like the one above that called me a spic for the first time in my life during freshman year in high school. I didn’t know what it was exactly but it didn’t feel right. Here’s the scene: I’m sitting below my locker waiting for my next class. Two lames come by and start talking loudly enough for me to hear them. One of them blurts out “spic” but I didn’t pay any attention. Mind you I’m at a predominantly white Catholic high school by way of a scholarship. He continues, “This spic’s mom is probably cleaning my house right now.”

I get up and we start throwing verbal attacks back and forth. I then get my Latrell Sprewell on and start choking dude and he does the same until we get split up. I’ll never forget it. So now guidos don’t bother me as much because well, fortunately, most of them get jobs as DJs for Sweet Sixteens or tanning salons. Everything happens for a reason. Someone was going to use the S-Word one time or another it just so happens I was 14 the first time. When was the first time you were called a racial slur?

Uno,

Jesus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice post u put up. i've been called "chink, gook, chinky eyes" but i hate "chink" the most cuz i aint even chinese, i just hate how ppl can't tell others apart. but whatever, i dont let it get to me like it used to. ppl are just ignorant these days.

Carl Chery said...

Man, I was soooo young when I was first called the n-word. I couldn't give you a specific age, but I think I was 6 or 7. I didn't know what it was at the time, so my pops broke it down for me. I tell you what, every dude who has ever used that word in my presence going forward has gotten their ass karate kid kicked. You should have skipped the dialogue and went straight for the spreewell.