Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Bought My First New Rap Album In 4 Years…



One of the best perks of being a rap mag editor was getting all the hot new music for free. They came in bunches especially when I sparked up deals with label cats; they would send me CDs and I would send them mags. But once I got jaded with the state of music, specifically rap, all the free ish just started collecting dust. Now, being an editor of a Latino site I can still hit up my contacts for free CDs but I rarely do. Or I could ask one of my homies to burn me a copy. But I don’t anymore.

But today, for the first time in four years, I bought a new rap album. I say new because I have splurged on CDs from the early ‘90s like Red’s first album. I went to Borders and picked up Ice Cube’s Raw Footage. Why would I pick up an album by a family flick actor? Well, because he’s still muhfucking nasty and he's also responsible for birthing this gangsta rap shit. Cube, and many of my compadres will agree, is rapping with a purpose like he's still jackin for beats. While paying for my Cube album I also donated a book for the NYC Public School system. How often can you say I bought a gangsta rap album and donated a book to a public school? Exactly.

Uno,

Jesus

No comments: