Friday, March 21, 2008

Part Two: Hi My Name Is



Being named Jesus comes with its share of corny jokes. A lot of the WPs call me Jose or even worst call me JC (Jesus Christ, horrible blasphemy I know). Two distinct stories pop in my head when discussing my name. The first time I knew I had a unique name was in elementary school. I was at St. Agatha’s School (yep I’m a Catholic school product) in 3rd grade. Our religion classes were taught by either nuns or priests. This particular year it was taught by Fr. Louis. When he starts taking attendance and comes to my name he can’t believe his eyes. He says, “Your name is ‘Jesus’?” “Yes,” I said silently. “Your parents should be ashamed and will burn in hell for naming you after the son of God!” “Gulp,” I said. He continued to say that he would refuse to call me my name and renamed me Mario! I was a shy kid; didn’t want to speak back so I obliged. A friend of mine told her parents; her parents told my pops and etc. Needless to say my parents were pissed but since they didn’t speak any English they let my older sister, Mercedes, handle this one. And oh boy did she handle it. My big sis goes to the rectory rips the priest a new one; next thing you know Fr. Louis never acknowledges me again. I know a priest ignoring a little boy, preposterous you say but true. Did I fail to mention that Louie was an Indian immigrant? Well, he was which made his disapproval of my name even more mind boggling.

The second instance is a case of WPs feeling awkward. I worked at a Hallmark store throughout high school and the owners were a couple of gay fellas. They wanted to hire me, not because I came from an all-boys high school super pause, but because I was a hard worker. Anyway they felt weird calling me by my name and asked if there was nickname I went by. I said, “My family calls me Junior.” And it stuck. The name not them.

PS: Love you big sis for sticking up for me.

Uno,

Jesús

2 comments:

Unknown said...

that is horrible homie. Mario?!? WTF.

Curly Sue said...

OMG I am so glad your sis intervened! Who just walks around renaming people??