Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Part One: Hi My Name Is




With holy week upon us (for us Christians) I find it fitting to tell you about the origin of my lovely but stereotypical name, Jesús. The story takes place in 1980s Brooklyn, NY. My mom was pregnant with me, her last child and only boy. For some reason or another I severely messed up her insides. Oh I was also a preemie. Come the day of my birth (May 28) my mom was in probably the worst pain she's ever been. The doctors told my family that it would be a miracle if she and I survive the birth. No one told my mom but being a woman she had an instinct that the situation was grim. So she turned to God, prayed and asked to save me; if I did survive they would name me Jesus in honor of his son. The result: I'm here and so is my mom. So when I get the dumbass jokes that come along with my name I just laugh it off because it was the biggest promise my mom ever made and that Jesus guy is pretty influential. Does your name have a story?

Uno,

Jesús

8 comments:

Curly Sue said...

awww I love this story.... it is so powerful, you are blessed!

Adriana Azalia Guzman said...

I'm a sucker, I'm tearing... Thank you for sharing with us...
My dad named me after his favorite flowering bush, your story is better!

Meche said...

When you are eight and the only baby of the family having someone take your star away can be crucial. As you grow up and realize that the little one that took you star is special you feel proud and know that you must always protect him. So yes Curly Sue he is blessed and so am I. I am proud to say that I am his big sister. Luv you

Dee said...

wow that was a tear jerker i never knew that thank God u and ur mom r here today with us my story is kinda lame my mom just wanted my name to rhyme with hers and then she did the same with my younger sister the three of us have rhyming names

Yaneth said...

What a wonderful story...but really is that just so your blog can coincide with Easter???? hmmm hmmmm....Mine is simple. My dad made it up. He didn't want a Janet so he switched it up a little and said she shall be called "Yaneth" Thanks Dad...none of these gringos can pronounce my name.....

Jesus Talks said...

I'm always thinking like a journalist so yes, it does coincide with Easter. It's all about timeliness homie!

O said...

My moms wanted to name me Geronimo. Pops was like "Hell to the naw! We naming him Omar!" And that pretty much ends that story. Not fucking with yours on ANY level. Count your blessings everyday, homie. I know I do

Unknown said...

wow that was deep. sorry for all the times I called you "Mr. G-Zus" plus the made men suck anyway!
dope story tho