Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I’m Not A Mormon But . . .


One of the biggest realizations I had since getting hitched is that I have two families now. I hold my wife's fam close to my heart but my fam is blood...so it's different. That's why the Queens move was such a big hit. Ma dukes, big sisters and pops are now a borough away. On Saturdays we go our separate ways—I go to BK and her to LI. I see her fam periodically as she does mine. And I always make it point to call my mom-in-law once or twice a month to see if she's fine. Yes, it's the gentlemanly thing to do but I also genuinely care about their well-being. The holidays are always weird. Where to go to? Whose family is more entertaining? Neither to be honest; we sit around twiddling our thumbs, each thinking what our families are doing. Her family has good wine and my family has two adorable little girls to entertain us. We managed this past year to get through them without arguing about where to go . . . well, at least not argue that much. I'm still getting the hang of this two family thing so needless to say a family is still years away. But I am Latino in my late '20s so I'm way overdue.


Uno,

Jesús

No comments: