Thursday, March 6, 2008

Fuhgetabouit!


Brooklyn. Is there a better place on Earth? Nah, b. Alas I broke up with her when I got married. Once the ring went on, my zip code was set to change. The wife said let's compromise and move 30 minutes away from each of our families. I was reluctant but did I really have a choice? Now I take a long ass train ride to BK to see the parents, my big sisters and my little princess nieces. I get to read my magazines on those rides and reminisce over the home of Big and Jay. I was born and raised in Sunset Park and had my first diss and my first kiss there. I even miss the hoodrats who blocked the steps to my building...actually not so much on the hoodrats. It's not that Queens is so bad but uggh it's not BK. I mean have you ever seen a package addressed to Bushwick, NY or Park Slope, NY. Of course not! But if you live in Queens you will see Richmond Hill,NY. WTF? But I was hoodwinked. You see my wife is a Queens girl who just moved to Long Island a couple of years ago. The Q was her territory all along. Hey it was a compromise AKA she wins.

Uno,

Jesús

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I can think of a better place than BK or Queens--West New York, NJ (that's right, Jerzee), the last bastion of Latinosity power, straight-up ungentrifiedness (barring the Gold Coast and Blvd East views) and where all the displaced from uber cool, unaffordable NYC are heading. YaY. :) I kid on the better part, of course... we're always partial to our hometowns. But seriously, come check out our real bodegas, hole in the wall restaurants, farmacias cubanas. It's old-school at its purest.

Curly Sue said...

Ugh I know! I have come to love BK in my short 4 yr stay here and I am having an anxiety attack over the thought I may have to leave it this year..... gentrification is a mug

Unknown said...

Yeah homie... my wifey moved me out to Shaolin, I got you beat. Damn do i miss Flatbush and the Sunset Chickenheads that you speak of... I had relations with a few of em.

I miss the Sweet Cherry too- back when it was poppin!