Monday, July 28, 2008

Conventions With Fulvio (Pause)

Aside from promoting the J-O at UNITY (the largest journalist conference in the U.S.) I also got a chance to chill with one of my good peeps from outside the Big Apple—Fulvio . The homie works for one of the big newspapers on the East coast and is always down to crack a joke or 20. He came, pause, in using “no homo” but by the end he was using “pause” for everything. (That’s right Carl, we’re infecting, pause, everyone). We hit up the job conference to network. First we stopped at a university booth. Sporting our dorky nametags the college rep tells Fulvio, “Oh you’re from the Korant!” SMH. Oh, I forgot to mention duke is not only from a university but a “School of Journalism and Mass Communication.” SMH. Fulvio corrects him and we proceed to crack jokes.

On to the NAHJ banquet where they honored my former college prof Juan Gonzalez. We stayed in the back because as expected we were going to act like junior high schoolers. In our defense the banquet was handled horribly. The invite read from 7PM to 10PM but it ran until almost midnight. Even by CPT standards that’s unacceptable. If felt like The Source was running this banquet not NAHJ; plus by the end of it I wanted to stab someone. They honor the first person around 7PM then there was an hour-long gap. When they begin to honor the rest it feels like I’m in a boring history class in eighth grade. In between some dude comes to our table; a friend of a friend. The guy speaks exactly like Christian Bale in American Psycho and he seems to be as much as a sellout as Bale was in it. By the time Juan Gone is honored more than half the attendees have left. I was laughing my ass off because it was the only way I could stop from crying. I got love, pause, for Juan Gone pero coño.

Uno,

Jesus

1 comment:

Jessica Rodriguez said...

oh friend, i couldn't have put it any better myself. don't forget that what made it especially JHS was the amount of stop and stares with no convo's being started by the many men drooling over the chicks. oops, did i say that out loud? =/