Friday, June 27, 2008

A Hip-Hop Love Story


This is a post about love. The wife and I made it pass the first year of marriage. It’s crazy how the older you get the faster those minutes tick. June 30th marks my first year as a married man so I find it fitting to tell y’all (most of you already know) how I met her. Like a lot of things in my life it’s straight hip-hop; sorta like Brown Sugar but without the fancy ass looking XXL office. Harris is straight gully. Ask anyone.

I digress. It was February 2004 and I was about to become Scratch Magazine’s founding associate editor. I was working on a feature on DJ Enuff and was hanging with him for the day. We met up at Hot 97, where I waited in the lobby. There I met Yva. She had a baseball cap on (she doesn’t wear them often) and studying hip-hop. WTF? She was there to become Angie Martinez’s apprentice. But my only question is who studies hip-hop? You either live it or you don’t. In either case, we exchanged info but I didn’t flirt because I was involved, etc. Fast forward to August 2004, I was chilling at a Scratch-sponsored Roots concert with my peeps Carl, Bain, Angel, and Omar. As I was getting buzzed some chick comes up to me and says, “Are you Jesus? Jesus Trivino?” I say, “Yes. Can you step into the light?” Yes, I said that. I wanted to see what I was dealing with and luckily enough I was dealing with some goodness. We again exchanged info and I took her to Asia de Cuba (thanks for the recommendation Tony G.) for our first date, movies the second and then she was off on vacay to Venezuela. What?! Yes, our chemistry was crazy and then she bounces. But we were both extremely hooked. She was gone for two weeks but every night she was in S.A. I bought a phone card and spent two, three hours on the phone with her. We pretty much fell in love over the phone. It sounds like a nice telenovela without the drama and light skinned Latins. So this post is for the belief in love, actual love and of course my Bonita Applebum . . . thanks for putting me on. Happy anniversary, te amo.

Uno,

Jesus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you so much!! Happy Anniversary Muneco (yes I call him that)

P.S. 'You didn't flirt cuz you were involved...'? Lets talk about that when you get home!? I can't wait to hear ALL about it!

PSS> Thanks for seeing the light and making me the happiest Latina EVER!!!

Carl Chery said...

Phillies Won! 11-0