Monday, June 9, 2008

The S-Word



While most minorities are elated that Barack is officially the Democratic nominee, this weekend proved to me that we still have a long way to go as far as race issues. Friday night the wife and I went to see Patriotic Bitch, the one-woman show by Allana Ubach. You've seen her before in flicks like Meet the Fockers, Legally Blonde, etc. She isn't the most Latina-looking of the bunch but the half-bori/half-mejicana definitely reps to the fullest. The show revolved around Yolanda, an immigrant who lost her sister to the American fast life of flash, money and drugs. Throughout the play her impersonations of different ethnic women was superb. Towards the end of the play her Jewish character blurts out "spic" in reference to Yolanda. I haven't heard the word said so viciously since I first heard it in 1993.

Then on Saturday, taking the train from BK, an old black man sits next to me. He starts yelling about how women want to get some d**k, fat women who wear wigs and how all women, even your momma, get old. OK, I act like the NYer that I am and ignore him. Then he says, "You know what's wrong with Puerto Ricans and spics..." For the sake of my well-being I got up and sat next to a little Asian lady. I K.I.M.ed (kept it moving) because he was probably crazy and I also remembered that according to the book of Chris Rock old black men are the most racist people. But hearing "spic" on back-to-back nights was too much. Hey CR, old Latino men are right behind them, pause.

PS: If you're Latino you need to go see Patriotic Bitch.

Uno,

Jesus

1 comment:

Curly Sue said...

I will def check out that flick, good looking. And I had a crazy woman screaming on my train this morning about Spanish slut whores being damned blah blah blah. Sigh.