Thursday, October 16, 2008

No Way Jose


Being named after God’s child is a pretty big responsibility. I love my name and wouldn’t change it for the world. So why do some people insist on calling me “Jose.” [Read here for past blog]. A publicist today emailed me (meaning she had my full name) and said “Hey Jose.” Is it that they simply assume since I’m Latino and have a name with a “J” that it must be Jose. Plus, Jesus is as common among Latinos as Ali is among Muslims.

After I emailed the publicist to say “my name is actually Jesus;” she apologized and I kept it moving. One of the many things I’ve learned from the wife is that people like it when you say their name correctly. Whenever we go to a restaurant she makes it a point to get the waiter’s name. Then after every interaction she’ll say, “Thank you, [Waiter’s name]. It’s a small gesture but it goes a long way.

Uno,

Jose, errr, I mean Jesus

No comments: