Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco De Mayo Is Here & I Don’t Care


You know what today is for me? The start of the work week; Monday, the first day away from GTA IV. But for mejicanos, frat boys and Sex and the City fans it’s time to drink it up for Cinco de Mayo. Truth be told I could give a flying fluck. My roots are Inca and I love me some cumbia but from La Sonora Dinamita. No disrespect to my Mexican homies because they’re not the ones perpetrating it’s some of these non-Latinos. Drinking margaritas and screaming, “Arriba!” It’s like St. Patty’s Day Part Duh.

I’m not down with celebrating with something that is not me. I remember in my junior year in high school I dated a Puerto Rican chick. The Puerto Rican Day Parade was fast approaching and she wanted me to go. I said, “Nah. Ethnic parades are kinda suspect. If you’re a girl you’re bound to get felt-up and if you’re a dude you're bound to get in a fight.” I didn’t go but one of my non-Puerto Rican boys did. I’m not saying you should only attend parades that represent you but don’t go and start waving a PR flag if you’re Jamaican or Mexican or Diddy. So in closing props on celebrating la Batalla de Puebla to my Aztec friends and booo to those who just find it as an excuse to get shit-faced and blurt out stereotypical lines lines “Si señor.” Would you celebrate an ethnic holiday that doesn’t rep you?

Uno,

Jesus

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your so wise Don Jesus :-)