Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I Think Slumdog Millionaire Made Me Racist


I say this because ever since I saw Slumdog Millionaire a few months back, every time I see a young Indian couple I think of the movie. Perhaps it’s just an innocent image association thing my mind plays on me. The fairy tale-ending flick (with the ill Bollywood dance number closer) has infiltrated my mind the same way City of God did. Even though I would love to travel to Brazil, there’s something in my mind that says, “Watch out for those favelas! It ain’t like any barrio U.S.A!”

In retrospect, one of Slumdog’s goals was probably to provide a positive image for India and its people. If I think of Jamal and Latika dancing in the middle of a train platform every time I see an Indian couple is it that bad? Who knows what they think when they see me? Perhaps, they view me as a drug dealing illegal immigrant who doesn’t speak English. Hmmm…I’ll go with the dancing number.

Uno,

Jesus

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was feeling guilty myself. Accept in my case it was while watching that weirdo Bobby Jindal rep the GOP. I was ready to say something like "Take your Slumdog @ss back to...," but that would be wrong. Right?

T-weaponz said...

It had me feeling like i had to learn that number at the end...That was the indian electric slide...sway

Carl Chery said...

Jai ho!

Jesus Talks said...

@ slangrap...lol

Jesus Talks said...

@ slangrap...lol