Monday, November 3, 2008

Grandmas Are Priceless; Just Ask Barack Obama


My heart goes out to Barack Obama. He’s on the heels of becoming the first African-American prez in U.S. history and his grandmamma dies of cancer a day before Election Day. Every single person can relate to losing a loved one. My abuela, which I called Mami Maria, also died of cancer. She was a devout Evangelist but never once forced her faith upon me only her love. After my grandpop died at age 39, she was left to raise my aunts and later on her grandchildren.

Unlike Obama’s grandmom, mine didn’t raise me. I would only talk to her via phone and visit her during my summer vacations in Ecuador. But every time I would go down there I would make sure to take care of her: food, money, a hug. She in turn would treat me like the man of the house (I would get the biggest piece of meat). She would always tell me the age-old Latino sayings: “Tell me who you hang out with and I’ll tell who you are,” or “You see their faces but never their hearts.” She wanted the best for me.

The last time I saw her was when I was 19. As tears were racing down her face, she gave me a tight hug as to say, I won’t ever see you again. Assuming I would see her soon I told her to calm down. Next year, we get the call that she has advanced ovarian cancer. Weeks later she was gone. It crushed my family. I know the day I do accomplish one my ultimate goal in life I would want to have Mami Maria there. But more importantly I wanted her there for the small feats (getting a byline) and the life-changing ones (getting married). So what I’m saying is I feel for you Obama. I know this won’t make his pain any easier but he’s got my vote.

Uno,

Jesus

No comments: